There are several mental models or frameworks when it comes to learning and mastering new skills.
In the book High-Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard, he introduces a concept called "progressive mastery" which are the 10 Steps to Mastery.
He describes it as the key to becoming world-class at any skill.
Progressive mastery isn't just about repeating a skill over and over again though. Repetition itself rarely leads to high performance.
For example, in the book "Peak" or even "The Talent Code", they talk about deliberate practice as the secret behind world-class performance.
Deliberate practice has to be focused, with a clear goal, outside your comfort zone, and with immediate feedback.
Progressive mastery takes this approach a step further by incorporating other elements that you'll learn in this video.
Here are the timestamps for each step:
Step 1: Determine what you want to learn (14:20)
Step 2: Don't use SMART goals (15:41)
Step 3: Attach emotion to the journey (17:40)
Step 4: Identify key skills to master (19:50)
Step 5: Visualize success and failure (21:32)
Step 6: Schedule time to work with experts (24:33)
Step 7: Measure your progress (26:05)
Step 8: Learn and practice with others (28:31)
Step 9: Continue setting bigger goals (29:58)
Step 10: Teach others what you learned (37:12)
For a more detailed explanation of each, watch the video!
1. The 3 Skill Sets Workers Need to Develop Between Now and 2030
2. 10 Top Soft Skills to Master for 2020
3. Most In-Demand Hard and Soft Skills
4. World Economic Forum: The Soft Skills to Prepare Employees for the Future of Work
5. Future of Work: The Top 10 Soft Skills You Need to Succeed
6. The 7 Soft Skills You Need to be Successful
7. Soft Skills Will Rise Prominence 2030
8. Skills for 2030
9. Future of Education: 4 Scenarios
10. The 10 Skills You Need to Thrive in the Fourth Industrial Revolution
Lifelong learning is one of the more important skills you can ever learn. Having a growth mindset that's focused on mastery, will lead to a life of more success and happiness.
I hope you enjoyed the video and apply these practices into your life too as you're learning new skills or developing ones you already have! If you're looking to further develop your own mindset, check out my High Performance Coaching Program to see if we would be a good fit in working together.